In this post, we will look at what the crime stats in San Mateo, California are like and how they compare to the rest of California.
In San Mateo, your chances of being a victim of a violent crime are 1 in 426. That’s around about half the average for California as a whole. (The state average is 1 in 225.) So, this suburb is safer than a lot of others in California.
On average in San Mateo, there arean average of 244 violent crimes annually. That averages out to around 2.35 people per 1 000 being affected by violent crimes every year.
The murder rate is low, at around 0.01 per 1000.
The non-violent crime rate is a bit higher. With 2 162 non-violent crimes being committed in an average year. That works out to around about 20.80 people out of a 1 000 being affected by non-violent crime.
Interestingly enough, the burglary rate per 1 000 is higher than the national average at 7.04 per 1 000. The national rate is 4.69 per thousand.
The rates for theft and car theft are both lower than the national averages, though.
So, Is it Safe or Not?
It is safer than about 28% of other cities in the United States. The burglary rate is some cause for concern, but it is to be expected considering that we are talking about a more upmarket suburb here.
What is heartening is the lower rate of violent crimes. That tells us that most burglaries are conducted by professionals. That is both good and bad.
It is good because a professional is more likely to be prepared – they get in and out and want the minimum of fuss. An amateur is more likely to commit a blunder that could end up getting people hurt. It’s bad because it means that they are pretty experienced at what they do.
Keeping Your Property Safe
Instituting reasonable security measures and ensuring that your property is a less-appealing target will keep you pretty safe in this area. Most burglars are looking for an easy score so taking some basic precautions will help a lot. Precautions to take include:
- Clearing away bushes around the house. This leaves them less place to hide when breaking in.
- Keeping the exterior lit during the night.This again makes it more likely that they will be spotted when trying to break in.
- Ensuring that you have a good fence up around your property.Palisade fencing is strong and more difficult to climb over.
- Changing your routine so it becomes harder to establish when someone will be at home and when they won’t be.
- Having a good alarm system in place, and making sure that you use it.
- Installing good quality locks.
Overall, this is a pretty safe neighborhood. With some reasonable precautions, you can safeguard yourself against most crimes.